Gavin The Donkey
His Purpose At Island Hill Farm:
All animals at Island Hill Farm serve a purpose, and Gavin is no exception. Though he is often seen lazily munching on some hay or fresh grass, Gavin can easily identify threatening or dangerous animals such as coyotes or stray dogs.
If Gavin's loud brays, and charging run doesn't scare any intruder away, he can use either his front or back legs to kick or stomp at the intruder.
What Does Gavin Eat?
In winter Gavin is fed a diet of dried hay along with treats of fresh fruit and vegetables. During the summer months Gavin spends most of his time outdoors where he can enjoy the sunshine and a little fresh grass alongside his regular ration of hay and fresh foods.
Interesting Facts about Donkey's:
- Did you know donkeys are stronger then horses of the same size.
- Donkeys are very intelligent and curious and will make their own decisions based on what they perceive as the safest option. This often leads people to label donkey as stubborn.
- Donkeys can live to be 50 years old
- With their large ears, donkeys have incredibly good hearing. Their ears are also used to help keep them cool!
- Donkeys have a natural aversion to canines, making them great guard animals on small Farms.